It Is Well With Me

I thought I would write about my surgery for anyone who reads this that might wonder what the scar was from in my Mother’s Day post. The photo above is from the day before my surgery in the snow with my guys. It’s the last shot of my neck without a scar. 

This was about 24 hours after the previous snow photo. I was half a thyroid less and looking mighty fine. I was so glad to wake up and hear my mama and husband tell me it was not cancer  and the surgeon left half of it, which means no daily meds. I was prepared for the worst and ready to tackle it head on, but I was so grateful to not have to in the end. The recovery was painful but my generous support system made it bearable. We did not cook a meal for 7 days because our friends rock at reaching out in times of need. We had so much we invited friends over to help us eat it all. My mom came to sit with me a few days and my mil took Henry home for a few days. It was nice to recoup without responsibility. 
I wore a scarf for a week or two because my wound was open and it was a bit gross to look at. I told Randall I felt like Mama June (honey boo boos mom) with my neck oozing stuff time to time and not being able to clean it out real good at first . So Gross but funny. 
I would sit on the couch as much as I could because lying flat was torture for about 3 weeks. It was unreal to think that this little surgery could affect one so much physically. The above picture was taken the day after I got home from the hospital. 

I now just go about life normally. People notice the scar. I wear necklaces over it now but I don’t try to hide it. It’s life and will be for about 2 years until it fades. People amaze me though. Total strangers (and usually men )will stop me randomly and ask what happened to my neck. I also get the concerned question from  time to time in a shameful low tone, “oh, thyroid?” And I am told how good or bad it looks and how they have a friend who had it done in 1998 etc, blah blah.  I want to answer with something wild to catch them off guard but I’m just too honest and nice. 

My thyroid nodules were discovered through a chest CT that was done because my annual monogram read odd. I am so grateful for modern technology, healthcare and a Savior that carried me through it all.  I found out about it and had the surgery within a few weeks time. 
This link is to the song that was my anthem during this unnerving time of waiting and then having it removed. A sweet friend sent it to me one night and it was perfect. My little Henry knows the chorus well. He listened with me and dried a few tears for me as I processed the situation prior to surgery. I am as good as gold now. Henry asks me everyday when the scar will go away and tells me he doesn’t like it. He’s a funny guy. 

Randall took  Henry to the hospital gift shop to buy me a little happy. Randall got persuaded into buying me  “Stuffie” . I held on to the neck of that thing my entire hospital say. It was comforting. All in all, this surgery was just a little hiccup in our life and for that we are most grateful! 
Abby Jo

Published by Abby Lee

Celebrating and decorating with purpose is my favorite thing to do. When I am not filling a tree with ornaments or throwing a birthday party for my golden doodle, I am being mom to a super cool tween son, the wife to a fine blue eyed man and selling real estate. I call northeast Arkansas home and when I am not loving on my people or celebrating in our space, I am using words to express myself here or on my podcast. Be sure to follow me! I am the co-author of a blog called Life with My Sister and have a podcast called Abby As-Is. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and YouTube.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: