I decided to celebrate my birthday this year with 34 (random”ish”) acts of kindness. Proverbs 11:17 says “A kind man benefits himself” and after taking on this fun task, I can honestly say that it is so true.They are listed in no particular order and were done in no particular order. I had some planned out and the others just came to me as I went about it. It has been so much fun. Here is a recap of all 34 of them.
1. I sent cupcakes to school for Henry’s class to have a birthday party in my honor.
2. I let traffic go ahead of me during the lunch hour in a busy intersection with construction.
3 -5. I gave the mail man and Henry’s teachers a Fast Break and a thank you note.
6. I spoke kindly to someone who grates my nerves. It was seriously tough and very random!
7. I left coupons on the break room table at work.
8. I held the door open for a busy construction worker who had a load of plywood in his arms. He wasn’t expecting it and his out of breath “thank you” was worth the few seconds it took me to do it.
9. I gave my stack of Parents magazines to an expecting co-worker.
10. I gave the Sonic carhop a tip during my happy hour Diet Coke run.
11. I tipped the coffee shop girl. I never tip her. I think she almost fell out of the drive thru window in awe.
12. I gave a friend polish remover and cotton balls for always painting my toes.
13. I sent a birthday card to an old college friend who shares the same b’day as me.
14. I sent a thank you card to my precious friend and church preschool director.
15. I gave a friend who teaches pre-k some foot soak. I thought she deserved it.
17. I let my little reader pick some “big boy” books off the shelf in his room for me to read to him.
18. I treated a precious friend to a cup of coffee.
19. I took my friend at the food bank some orange(ish) daisies to celebrate all the work she is doing this month…and every other month of the year. September is Hunger Awareness month.
20. I took my sweet boy to the fire station with homemade cookies for the firemen. He was treated like royalty and they were most appreciative of the cookies.
21.I reserved a parking space in the driveway for my busy bean cutting Answerplot man.
22. I worked on the Parade of Pumpkins contest for the Miracle League and smiled pretty for a photo going in our local magazine. This little cutie goes to church with me. He loves baseball and thinks his arm is a built in bat. I just love this child and this cause.
23. I gifted a co-worker with a pack of gum because I always bum gum from him. (do y’all remember Shaun from the singles hook up I did last winter? He is now dating his dental hygienist. Score!)
24. I made the lady at the DMV smile and then she laughed…a most random event! I think maybe the fact that the photo she took for my license makes me look like I am wearing a large helmet on my head made her laugh and not me just being me. Whichever it was, it was a fabulous and rare moment at the DMV!
25. I took food to our church’s food pantry. Our pantry served over 70 hungry families last month.
26-27. I let my Awana Puggles paint. I don’t do paint and a table of toddlers. It was a huge act of kindness getting out the ole paints for my excited little loves. The painted masterpieces were sent to some of our church’s shut-ins to help brighten their day and spread the love of Jesus.
28. I Gave a sassy co-worker the teal nail polish I received from the teal toes event at the bank.
29. I Took Henry for tater tots on a weeknight. That is a biggie for my little junk food junkie.
30-31. I Gave an on the go co-worker a magnetic to do list and I gave my ray of sunshine at work a fun “good morning” bright yellow toast stamp.
32. I bought my favorite foursome cool new pencils. I love being their aunt.
33. I did some helpful research for someone I love a whole bunch without them asking me to do it. It was an encouragement to them and it made my heart smile to hear the gratitude in their voice.
34. I got my 34 year old sleepy booty out of the bed at 5:00 am on my birthday to celebrate with crossfit Carl. I ran a 1/2 mile, did 300 jump ropes and rowed 2000 meters. I was kind to my body straight out the 34 chute! I think being kind to myself is list worthy because a kind man does benefit himself in more ways than one!
This has been such a fun and rewarding birthday celebration.I have spent the whole week performing these acts of kindness. This birthday has been extra sweet because of it. It has made me more aware of my actions as I go throughout a normal day. Some of the things on the list came easy for me and some required extra effort in the kindness department. God has rewarded me with a new year to serve him and what a better way to celebrate that gift than sharing it with others!
2 thoughts on “34 Acts of Kindness”
What a fabulous way to celebrate 34!
Love it!! I might have to do this for my 28th in November! I love that you listed them all..many are things I could do, too. Happy bday! 🙂